– Have twice the antioxidant activity of blueberries.
– Are comparable to spinach in ascorbate and protein content.
– Are 3-4 times higher than spinach in phenolic compound concentration.
– Are an non- marine source of Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids.
– Are a good source of macro and micro elements.
– One ounce of fiddleheads contains over one gram of protein while adding a mere 10 calories.
– Are very low in sodium content and should be incorporated in a low sodium diet.
– Host cancer-fighting properties and hinder the growth of several types of cancerous cells.
– Are also a great source of vitamins and minerals such as:
iron, fibre, niacin, vitamin A, vitamin C, potassium, riboflavin, calcium, and phosphorus.
Improve Your Health
One of the best and most simple ways to improve your overall health is to increase your intake of antioxidants. Antioxidants are your body’s no. 1 way to neutralize free radicals. Free radicals are harmful metabolic by-products that damage cells and tissues throughout your body. Scientific evidence has repeatedly demonstrated that antioxidants are a cornerstone in the promotion of heart health, immune system support, memory productivity and stabilize blood pressure. Antioxidants also appear to play a role in helping to slow your signs of aging. Although many foods contain antioxidants, today’s poor quality diets are nearly always insufficient in the full range of these beneficial free radical scavengers. That’s why it is strongly recommended to increase your antioxidant intake as a valuable way to optimize your health. Since fiddleheads have twice the antioxidant activity of blueberries (which are regarded as one of the highest antiodixant rich foods) it is highly recommended that one consumes fiddlehead greens for good health.